Cricket Australia likely to reopen the ‘Sandpaper-Gate’ investigation after Bancroft’s statement

Cricket Australia likely to reopen the ‘Sandpaper-Gate’ investigation after Bancroft’s statement

CA (Cricket Australia) likely to reopen the ‘Sandpaper-Gate’ investigation after Bancroft’s statement.

Sandpaper-Gate Scandal: Cricket Australia on Sunday said that it is likely to reopen the investigation of the famous ‘Sandpaper-Gate’ Scandal following the statements of Cameron Bancroft. The incident which took place back in 2018, Cape Town Test is termed as the darkest incident for Cricket Australia and the whole Cricket fraternity.

The information came after the batsman Cameron Bancroft himself admitted that there had to be someone in better knowledge of the situation. Bancroft who was suspended for nine months said that it is “self-explanatory” that the bowlers knew the situation and benefited from it.

The 28-years old Australian cricketer, Cameron Bancroft was amongst the three who were found involved in the case besides captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner.

Bancroft during the test between South Africa and Australia tried to rub the ball with sandpaper with an intention to make one side of the ball rough which will in-turn benefit the Australian bowlers. The incident following the investigation was named ‘Sandpaper-Gate’ and is termed as the worst and darkest moment for the Cricket playing nations.

“CA has maintained all along that if anyone is in possession of the new information in regards to the Cape Town Test in 2018, they should come forward and present it. The investigation conducted at the time was detailed and comprehensive. Since then, no one has presented new information to CA that casts doubt on the investigation findings,” ESPNcricinfo quoted CA spokesperson as saying.

“Yeah, obviously what I did benefits bowlers and the awareness around that, probably, is self-explanatory…”said Bancroft to The Guardian interviewer.

ALSO READ: Bhuvneshwar Kumar fumes at sources claiming he doesn’t want to play long-form cricket. CA (Cricket Australia) likely to reopen the ‘Sandpaper-Gate’ investigation after Bancroft’s statement.

“I guess one thing I learnt through the journey and being responsible is that’s where the buck stops [with Bancroft himself]. Had I had better awareness I would have made a much better decision,” said Bancroft.

The incident was recorded back in March 2018, when Australia toured South Africa for four games Test series. During the third Test game at Newlands, Cape Town between South Africa and Australia, opening batsman Cameron Bancroft was found on television trying to use the sandpaper to make one side of the ball rough. Although the intention was to do it skillfully so that nothing comes in camera, however, the technology was one step ahead.

Following the inquiry, skipper Steve Smith, vice-captain David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were found guilty and were heavily penalised. Cricket Australia (CA) in response to the shameful act took some unprecedented steps against the cricketers.

First, Steve Smith and David Warner were sacked from the Captains and vice-captains role respectively. Both the senior players were handed comprehensive one-year bans while Bancroft was given a nine-month suspension.

CA appointed Tim Paine as the skipper of the Test team while Aaron Finch took the captaincy reins of the limited-overs side.

Following the incident, Australian head coach Darren Lehmann decided to step down from the responsibility although he was not directly involved in the episode. Later, Justin Langer was appointed the head coach of the side.

Australia went on to lose the third test against South Africa which was halted by the shameful scandal on the day three.

ALSO READ: IPL 2021: Delhi Capitals (DC’s) Prithvi Shaw blocked by cops midway while going to Goa for vacation. CA (Cricket Australia) likely to reopen the ‘Sandpaper-Gate’ investigation after Bancroft’s statement.